This is a basic bread recipe. You can add flavours or fillings etc to it but first make the basic recipe.
5 tsp dry active yeast (2 1/4oz packages)
1 tbsp sugar or honey
1 1/2 cups tepid water, divided
4 cups Bread Flour – White Homestyle
1 tbsp fine sea salt
1. Place the yeast, sugar and 1/4 cup of the water in a stand mixer bowl, let stand 10 minutes.
2. Sift the flour and salt into the mixer bowl and using a hook, mix at low speed while slowly adding the water.
3. Scraping down the sides and hook as required, mix until the dough comes together and comes away from the bowl.
4. Remove the dough, knead it into a smooth ball, add a little flour to the bottom of the bowl and place the dough back in the bowl.
5. Dust the top of the dough with flour and cover with plastic wrap and a tea towel and place in a draft free, warm spot until doubled (1-1.5 hours).
6. Remove dough, punch down and knead, divide and shape into the size and shape desired (add filling now if doing so).
7. Place on a Baking sheet dusted with fine corn meal and cover with plastic wrap and tea towel until doubled (1-1.5 hours).
8. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.
9. Cool on a wire rack.