New Year’s Eve and Belle is working on her laptop. Thought I would make a snack for her. Somehow I thought it might make the work bearable. The recipe was for 24 oysters but I only made 5 so I changed the amounts and didn’t have arugula but had her favourite kale. I picked up a jar of oysters from Costco and used these.
Deep-fried Oysters with fried Kale and Tomato dressing.
Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s “Jamie’s Kitchen”
5 oysters, shucked
2/3 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup cold water
1 egg white, whisked until stiff
1 tbsp olive oil
1 vine ripe tomato, cored
1 tsp horseradish
1/4 clove garlic
1 tsp white wine vinegar
Tobasco, a drop(optional)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
kale, leaves only, roughly chopped
1. Clean shells to serve on.
2. Whisk flour and water to make batter.
3. Fold in whisked egg white and olive oil.
4. In a blender or magic bullet, blend the tomato, horseradish, garlic and white wine vinegar.
5. Season with salt and pepper and optional Tobasco.
6. Heat vegetable oil for deep frying to 350 degrees F.
7. Fry the kale for a 30 seconds, remove with slotted spoon, set aside on paper towel.
8. Drop the oysters in the batter, lift out with a spoon and place in the oil.
9. Deep fry for 2 minutes, turning after 1 minute if oil does not cover the oyster completely.
10. Remove oysters to paper towel,
11. Assemble- place Kale on the clean half shell, top with fried Oyster, drizzle with tomato dressing and serve.