A quick and easy tofu dish with some kick in the sauce. This was a staple for me as a Vegan.
1-2 tbsp Olive oil
3-4 shallots, finely chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 1/2” piece fresh ginger, minced
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup chili paste
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
1/4 cup chopped peanuts, raw, unsalted
2/3 cup water
1 package extra-firm tofu, drained
1. Place the Olive oil in a medium pot over med-high heat, add shallots and cook until soft (5 minutes)
2. Add garlic, ginger and cilantro for 1 minute.
3. Add chili paste and sugar and cook for 1 more minute.
4. Add Hoisin sauce, peanuts and water and simmer until thick
5. Adjust taste/thickness with Hoisin, sugar, chili and water/
6. Cut tofu into steaks and marinate in sauce for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
7. Heat skillet over medium heat and cook tofu in single layer with marinade until heated through and browned.